As promised, here is my pick for the cocktail of this Independence Day. Something refreshing and minty with just enough kick (blood orange) to keep you sipping sweetly all day long. It also helps that this recipe calls for shallow tumblers instead of big tall ones that can be quite deceiving. When entertaining I always opt for something simple that can be made into a pitcher or bowl to keep refilling to a minimum. I strongly suggest using a large metallic bowl to help keep the libation cool and freezing your own cubes using a mixture of half orange juice and half San Pellegrino Limonata soda. Trust me this little tip will Wow your guests! Hope you have a very happy and safe holiday tomorrow!
- 2 1/2 ounces light rum
- 4 ounces San Pellegrino Limonata
- 1 1/2 ounces simple syrup
- 2 blood oranges, cut in wedges
- Handful of mint
- In a large bowl, combine blood orange wedges, mint leaves and a light sprinkle of sugar. Muddle all the ingredients together until most of the juice is extracted and the mint leaves are bruised.
- Distribute muddled oranges and mint leaves between two glasses. Fill with ice. Add rum, simple syrup and San Pellegrino Limonata. Stir and serve immediately.